Order today for all of your events

PLACE YOUR ORDER by sending us an email at CakePopFusion@gmail.com or visiting our Etsy Shop. Custom orders are welcome!

Monday, October 31, 2011

Living Large.... and Small

Holy smokes, last week was a crazy week!  My son moved back up north and Kat & I moved into a room in someone's house.  Oh, and we did some cake popping and ran a church carnival, too.  Oh, yes, and there was an ER trip in there as well.  Did I say it was a crazy week?  Yep!  Ha ha.

Ricky's move up north was an adventure.  His friend flew down to accompany him on the long drive, but when he arrived, there was a glitch with the rental procedure and we were unable to get a car for them.  So after several hours of trying to figure things out, the guys decided to just leave some of Ricky's things with us and fly up the next day instead.

That night, I stayed up all night to finish a large cake pop order that absolutely had to go in the mail the next morning or risk missing our client's celebration.  All the running around with the rental car stuff sort of threw a wrench in my cake popping plans, but I got it done!  Yay!

The next day, I drove Ricky and his friend to the airport, then dropped his stuff off at the storage unit, got Kat to her class, and then went to work.  That night, I took Kat to the ER for a much-needed spinal tap because her head pain was just way too much for her to handle any longer.  Really, she should've gone in two nights earlier.  But she wanted to tough it out the first night and then I couldn't take her the second night, and she didn't want to miss any school during the day.  So we finally got there, got her tap done (by an inexperienced resident, unfortunately), and went home.  She had school and I had work that afternoon, and boy were we exhausted!

For the past few days, Kat's back has been killing her.  She's had trouble walking 'cause it hurts so much.  But her head feels a little better.  Oy.  One pain traded for another?  She's been helping me pack up the apartment and move things to storage despite her back and head pain.  She's a trooper, I tell ya.  Man, one day we will beat this IH and she won't have to deal with head pain or spinal taps or any of the other stuff that goes with it an more.  One day!

We had our church carnival on Sunday, which made for a long and tiring -- though FUN -- day.  Kat was able to sit for the most part at least, so that was good.  By the time the carnival was done, I was aching all over and ready for bed!  But we had a move to finish.  So we grabbed a quick supper and packed like crazy.  Thanks to some wonderful friends, we got another two carloads to storage and moved our bare essentials to our new place.  Boy, did our beds feel good last night!

This morning, I made another run to storage while Kat went to school.  Tonight, we'll do the final bit and be done.  It'll be a late night again, but at least we'll be finished at last.

I had a bit of a panic attack this morning, wondering if I had made the right choice to move to such a small place.  I will have to seriously pare down our belongings, because there's not a whole lot of space there.  But Kat has assured me from the get-go that it's the right thing to do and we have no other choice, really. I still had that nagging feeling (okay, more like borderline depression) this morning, so I chatted with Ricky and called my mom, and then I went online to learn what other people have done with their small living situations.  Tonight, I feel much better about the whole thing.  Yes, it will feel strange living in someone else's house.  Yes, it's a very small space compared to our apartment.  Yes, it will take lots of getting used to.  But I think Kat, Ricky, and my mom are right -- this will work out.

So off we go on our next grand adventure.  And you know what?  I think I just might be looking forward to spending the upcoming holidays with a family who does the get-togethers and homey stuff that I haven't been very good at.  Kat will get to have a real, honest-to-goodness Thanksgiving meal celebration for a change.  That alone seems like something to be thankful for this year.  I wish Ricky could be here to share it with us. But he tells me that he is much happier up north, so I am thankful that he is blessed with a solid community of friends there who love him like family.

Before I go, here's a video I found online.  Jay Shafer, owner of Tumbleweed Houses has lived in small (and I really mean SMALL) spaces for over a decade.  He makes it look like fun, and his home has everything a person needs!  Enjoy his tour of his little abode.  I know I did, and it's largely because of him that I feel like this is doable for us.

~ Pia

No comments:

Post a Comment