Order today for all of your events

PLACE YOUR ORDER by sending us an email at CakePopFusion@gmail.com or visiting our Etsy Shop. Custom orders are welcome!

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Wait. WHAT day is it today??

Custom silicone wristbands!

Happy "Don't Cry over Spilled Milk" Day!  Did you know there was such a thing?  I had no idea!  Until I opened up my web news today and saw it, that is.  And then I got excited!

Not because I like milk, mind you.  I don't.  Ewwww.  Milk is gross.  Wait.  Let me clarify.  White milk is gross.  Wait.  I like white milk in recipes and in my cereal.  I like chocolate milk and strawberry milk and banana milk.  I love milkshakes, even vanilla.  But white milk that you make me drink straight from a glass or a carton -- with no flavoring! -- is gross.  At least, to me.


When I was in preschool (or maybe it was kindergarten), my teacher used to make us drink a whole glass of white milk before we could go out to recess.  I couldn't do it.  It was just too much for me to drink.  So I spent a lot of recess periods sitting inside, staring at the plastic "glass" of milk in front of me, willing it to disappear so I could go out to play.  It never did, of course.  And I never got to go out to play.  Yeah, yeah, poor me!  Don't worry, I learned to sneak to the sink and dump it down the drain sometimes when my teacher wasn't looking.  I don't condone that behavior, it's just what I did to "survive".  Bad, bad Pia!  See that glass above?  Picture it in red.  That was the dreaded milk glass (but it was plastic).  To this day, I can't bring myself to drink from cups like this.  Aw, totally traumatized, ha ha!


In elementary school, we used to get cartons of milk with our lunches.  I told the cafeteria ladies that I was allergic to milk, so they stopped putting it on my tray.  But on the days when we had chocolate milk, I was happy to take it.  Hmmmm..... what happened to my "allergy"....?  Must've been only allergic to white milk!  I guess they really knew I wasn't allergic and just didn't push the issue.  If I didn't want to drink the milk, why force me, right?  I loved my cafeteria ladies!  They had my back!

But today is not about literally spilling milk and then crying (or NOT crying!) over it.  Today is about looking at a situation and finding the best in it.  What's done is done.  You can't change it, only move on from it.  In other words, clean up the spill and go out to play!  There is way too much in this world that will drag you down if you let it.  Don't let it.  Look to the bright side of things.  Are you too sick to go to work or school today?  Use your bed rest to dig into that book you've been meaning to read.  Paycheck's all spent and you have no cash to take your kids to the zoo?  Talk a walk in the park with them or play ball in the backyard; all they really want is your undivided attention, and that's free!

Kat bought one of these for her friend's birthday.  Too cool!

They say optimists live longer, happier lives.  I think that's true.  People who look at the bright side have lower stress levels than those who don't.  Stress shortens lives and makes the lives we have left miserable.  I'm not the greatest at being optimistic, but I'm learning.  So I'm going to celebrate "Don't Cry over Spilled Milk" Day and remind myself that no matter what happens today I always have tomorrow to look forward to!

Want to celebrate today?  Click the photos below for some fun milk recipes!

Tres Leches Cake

Caramelized Banana in Coconut Milk

Avocado Milk Shake

Leche Flan (Condensed Milk Custard)

Vanilla Ice Cream and more

Now, maybe I'll go have a milkshake.  ;)

~ Pia



No comments:

Post a Comment